Saturday, November 26, 2011

Viva il Papa!

Wednesday November 16th

So what did I do this morning? Hm, spent is 20 FEET FROM THE POPE! Yes, I finally attended the Papal Audience!
First off I want to thank Uncle Bob and his secretary Maryteresa McKenna for their help in getting the tickets so quickly and easily. I would also like to thank the wonderful nuns at Bishops’ Office for United States Visitors to the Vatican, where I picked up my tickets, for taking extra time to talk to me and show me around on Tuesday night.
Leann, Andrew, and I woke up bright and early and made it to the Vatican by 8am this Wednesday, and it was totally worth it. Leann immediately spotted the seats that are up by the entrance to the Basilica, flashed her ticket and walked right past the guard, determined to get the closest spot possible. We ended up in center seats in the 7th row! Literally 20 feet from the Pope’s chair. I think we spent the first hour freaking out more than anything. Then we fell asleep for the second hour. Luckily, we sat in the sun and came prepared with hats and gloves so the 2 ½ before the Papal Audience began was not bad.
But of course, the moment the band started playing everyone was on their feet, standing on their chairs actually, and we were wide awake. WE SAW THE POPE! IN THE POPE MOBILE! IN REAL LIFE! It was totally amazing. And then, he came out and walked up the steps, right up to us! Seriously, seeing the Pope, the father of the Catholic Church worldwide, Pope Benedict XVI, right in front me of was a once in a lifetime experience that I feel lucky to have had. I feel this morning is best described in photos and videos:


No comments:

Post a Comment