Monday, September 26, 2011

A weekend to relax

So amid the rush of learning how to live in a new country, and the constant need to see everything at once, I forgot how to sit down and breathe. This has been a wonderful weekend in Rome, just taking it day by day, and has made me fall in love with this city even more for it.

I will start with this week, as I am loving all of my classes more and more. First off, I have been waiting to post this information until it was set in stone, but I have been hired by the photography department to be the monitor/aid for photo, AND I have been a TA for Photo 1. Basically, I get paid to help the photo 1 students out in any way they need, and keep the darkroom clean and chemicals refilled. It is an awesome job to fall into by accident, and I thank my professor Lucy Clink for it.
I have three professors, all female: Lucy for photo 1 and advanced photo, Katherine Krizek for Inside Italian Design, and Daniela Curiouso for Italian 1. I had the opportunity to talk with each one outside of class about travel tips and art shows to see in Rome, and they are just so friendly with so much information!  This Thursday Prof Krizek took us to the Palazzo Dell’Esposizione for the  “Unicitia d’Italia” show, celebrating both 150 years of unity in Italy, as well as the 50th anniversary of the Compasso d’Oro, an award for excellence in design. It has been awarded every year by a jury of people with various professions, not just designers, so it is considered the most objective prize one can win in Italy. There were beautiful objects as well as everyday ones, and for two hours we discussed everything from the introduction and patenting of plastic, to the aesthetics of  products, evolution in clothing design. I really appreciate the interactive quality of all my classes, not just this one, and it helps me feel more immersed in the culture than I would on my own.
On Friday Clarisse, Alexis, Allison, Andrew, and Jake, and I all took a train to Viterbo, up in the Tuscany region. It only took an hour and a half, a we had a great time. Highlights:
1-      An amazing drink called a Golo Sito, supposedly cold, thick crème with a touch of coffee, but it tasted like ice cream to me. And of course I got the chocolate syrup with mine so I had an otherworldly taste of coffee ice cream chocolate goodness in a cup. It took everything in me not to live off that all day. Thank goodness I packed a lunch!
2-      Speaking of lunch, we enjoyed sitting outside the church of San Lorenzo, eating our lunch, and enjoying the beautiful architecture before us. It seemed simple but I really love this memory already. (my backpack is where I sat)
 
3-      Probably my favorite part of the day was when Clarisse and I split apart from the group to do some shopping, and fell into an artist’s storefront. We met and talked with Rosario (you can imagine our excitement when we realized she spoke English!) about her glass jewelry, which Clarisse loved and bought. Rosario was so friendly! She was excited to show her work, and after some time she even invited us to the countryside, right outside Viterbo, where she makes her glass pieces in another studio! She said she would be happy to teach us how to make glass beads, and make a weekend of the trip! Whether or not we do it didn’t matter, I just felt so welcomedby her, and I felt like speaking with the locals about what they do is the best way to appreciate the essence of the Italian people.
4-      Lastly, we enjoyed another apperativo for dinner at “Convivium”. Our table was outside next to a fountain, and we enjoyed some of the best white wine I’ve had, as well as homemade finger foods, buffet style. This is a very common, and very awesome, way of eating.
Saturday was relaxing. I slept in and loved it! I got some writing done, some skyping, then left for the most beautiful cemetery I have ever seen! Leann went with her class, and Sarah, Amanda, Paul, Pasquele, and I there because she knew I would love to photograph there. She was right. We got off at the metro stop Piramide, and after we got off the stop I saw why- there is a huge Pyramid right there! Apparently a very long time ago some guy who really did nothing special visited Egypt, had money, and built himself a pyramid back in Rome where he wanted to be buried. More than anything it just looks totally out of place and is so confusing to the eye. In any case, there was a beautiful cemetery built around it, which looks more like a garden when you walk in. It is muli leveled with designated rows, and as Sarah said “You don’t step on the bodies!” More than anything I loved the sculpture of the tombs, and John Keats as well as Henrick Christian Anderson are buried here. Overall, I took a million pictures and I am already planning my return trip.

After the cemetery the rest of the group broke off and Sarah and I hopped on a bus and found a museum I had heard a lot about: The Macro. Originally a slaughterhouse, this building was fairly recently reconstructed and converted into a contemporary art museum, where a photography show is currently displayed. It wasn’t as creepy as I expected it would be, and the show was free (an added surprise!) due to the show’s opening weekend crowd. It had a variety of artists, with text in both Italian and English. Some artist’s chose to have their titles and descriptions in English, some Italian, and some with both. It was a really nice experience and it gave me a bit more insight into modern day Italian culture, which is just as important to study as its past.

Sunday was interesting as well, as Sarah, Pasquele and I were early risers and left the Residence at 7am to hit the big flea market that takes place every Sunday from 7am to about 1pm. It was PACKED. Overwhelming was an understatement when it was all over, but we got some great Italian movies, jewelry, and clothes. There was everything under the sun there from 50 cent stack of clothing to used equipment to new electronics to kitchen supplies to shoes galore to more Chatchkas than my dad or Colin would ever want to see. It was a maze and we were lucky to get out alive.

After naps, the three of us went out for dinner at an unbelievable place called Tiepolo and…. I FINALLY HAD A SALAD! It took way too long, but it was SO worth the wait. I had the Tre Stelle: radicchio, warm pear, gruyere cheese, gorgonzola chunks, with a gorgonzola vinaigrette dressing. Yes, to die for. Sarah and I also shared a baked potato with cheese and corn, and Pasquele got his with sour cream and salmon. If that wasn’t enough we also split two desserts: The Pear Rose- pear cooked in red wine served with pink pepper and cream, as well as my first Panna Cotta. A perfect ending to a perfect meal.

This week is already flying by as I spent way too long on the computer planning my fall break, and didn’t get any photo work done for the first time this semester! But Allison made coming home worth it by teaching me how to make homemade pizza and making homemade zeppole! Shoutout to Grandpa Bellitto for raising me on this delicious Italian item! Eating them makes me look forward to Christmas Bellitto family style! I am so excited to finally appreciate the art of cooking good Italian food- it took long enough but I am so happy to learn so many new recipes- I hope I can remember all of them when I get home! Slash I hope I can still fit in my pants….

That’s all for now! Off to Florence next weekend! I will have even more to tell I am sure! Ciao!

2 comments:

  1. A wonderful weak of feasting for the eyes & tastebuds. Glad to hear you fit some rest in there too. Glad we got to Skype:) xo Aunt Karen

    ReplyDelete